Self-love: regard for one’s own well-being and happiness.
Pure self-love is a genuine feeling of love, appreciation, and recognition for yourself. When I say “genuine”, I mean that no matter what you do, you always love yourself with the same strength and energy. Love yourself with the same strength and energy no matter the errors you’ve made because you WILL make mistakes, but that is life, so don’t be so hard on yourself!
I always look at mistakes as a learning experience.
Self-love influences who you pick for a mate, the image you project at work/school and how you cope with the problems in your life and is deeper than just delivering the words “I love myself” out loud, it requires belief.
There are two different meanings of truly loving yourself and just stating you love yourself. When you truly love yourself, it shows in your efforts and how you start to conduct yourself. You don’t have to constantly speak the words “I love me” or “I’m in love with myself”.
Because let’s be honest…at that point who are you trying to convince? yourself or others? So with that being said, if you find yourself trying to love yourself for another person…stop while you’re ahead because it doesn’t work like that. Self-love is a feeling within yourself and for yourself
Personally, it took time to realize that I actually LOVE myself, and once I found that love for myself I saw myself progressing. As I expressed in the introduction, me learning to love myself was because of an individual who most certainly wasn’t good for my well-being. I remember continuously telling myself that I loved myself, but from my actions, it was proven that the “love” I had for myself wasn’t natural, it was more of a “like” than love. I chose to invest in loving myself because during a particular time in my life (about a year or two ago) I didn’t like who I was becoming. I found that it’s essential to your body, mind, and soul. Me being able to say I truly love myself unconditionally is something I brag about (and something everyone should brag about if you really mean it). It has helped me make better decisions, keep good company, and helped me focus on what I WANT and not what others want for me!
These 7 steps below helped me with my growth process into loving myself unconditionally, and I hope these will help on your journey to self-love!
1. Become mindful. Generally, people have more self-love tend to know what they think, feel and want. They are mindful of who they are and act on this knowledge, rather than on what others want for them. Translation: Live for yourself and not others, make mistakes and learn from them! Be mindful of yourself and how you feel! Don’t let anyone dictate what you’re supposed to feel!
2. Act on what you need rather than what you want. I think you love yourself more when you have the ability to turn temptation down (things that only make you feel good and are exciting). And instead excepting things that help you move forward in life AND, things that make you feel strong and centered!
3. Practice good self-care. Take better care of YOUR needs. Nourish YOURSELF. If it’s getting active, writing in a journal, proper sleep, healthy social interactions, exercise…just invest in YOURSELF and your care!
4. Set boundaries. Please please PLEASE, understand your limits and when to say no. This is the biggest part about loving yourself (in my opinion). Stay away from activities that deplete or harm you physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually!!
5. Protect yourself. Get rid of negativity! Protect your heart and soul! This is important because you can’t truly love yourself if you continuously allow negative souls infiltrate your life.
6. Forgive yourself. Don’t be TOO hard on yourself, we ALL make mistakes! Learn to forgive yourself and look at them as lessons. Accept your humanness, you are not perfect, nobody is perfect!
7. Live intentionally. Live with purpose and design. living intentionally is all about why you do what you do and why don’t
If you find these steps helpful and want to know more about how I overcame not being able to truly love myself hit the contact tab and shoot me a message! I will gladly give you more ideas and steps from my personal experience!