Being black in America…we do not celebrate the 4th of July, however we do celebrate having a day off (or two for some of us this year), being around family (or friends), and an abundance of food, well at least that’s what my family does. One thing about my family is that we KNOW how to come together and have a wonderful time, which is exactly what we did. Being that most of us had a 4 day weekend it was perfect! We decided to spend our 4 day weekend holiday in Kissimmee, Florida.
I technically had a 5 day weekend because my boss let me off Wednesday, but I almost went into work (thank God I didn’t because I had SO much to do Wednesday, including packing because I am such a last minute person). We hit the road Wednesday evening and arrived to Florida Thursday morning, and literally from the time I got there until the time I left I was 10.
Crazily, I was about to pass up this mini vacation to go to Midsummers (a pool party/cookout/event that happens every summer in Charlottesville, VA). After talking to my best friend I decided to cancel Midsummers and take my ass to Florida with my family. Thank God I did that because I had so much fun doing a numerous of things such as… 1. me and my cousins bonded, a lot, 2. we went to Universal Studios, I was sweating so much I felt gross but loved it at the same time, weird yeah I know, 3. We went to this place called Andretti Indoor Karting & Games, a place you can do go-karting, play in a huge arcade, bowling alley inside AND bar lol, (I also will never bowl under the influence ever again because I suck even more). and 4. We also had a pool at our house so I spent some time there as well.
Overall..I ate too much, drank too much, sweat a lot and had crazy fun.
Here are some lessons I learned from being with my family for 4 days straight:
- Being in the house with 25 people doesn’t feel like 25 people when we’re all scattered
- My support system is wonderful
- I don’t really like kids like I thought I did (it was about 6 little girls from ages 6-9 and they drove me insane lol)
- Next time we go I’m definitely flying
- My back can’t handle being in the car for 10+ hours twice within 3 months lol
- I might drink way too much (who am I kidding, what’s drinking too much kiddos?)
- My cousins are the literally funniest people on the planet
- Brooke sucks at getting pictures of me when I need her to lmao
- I’m a little washed, I need naps during the day or I’ll crash early which I did…twice lmao
- I have the best family in the world.
Don’t take your family for granted…everyone is getting older and though we are still young, some aren’t. Love your family. Accept your family. Spend time with your family. They’re the best support system you’ll ever have (especially mine might I add, again).
So my 4 day weekend in one word? Amazing. One of my favorite weekends of the summer (with Memorial Day weekend being the first, ha)